10 suggested self-care tips by a dancer for dancers, to take care of you AND your art!
1. Drink enough water. Simple, you would think, but not done by so many of us!
2. Eat correctly and regularly. As with everything, balance is key. No extreme exclusions but finding the right balance of what your body needs is crucial. As is not skipping re-fueling!
3. Do not stop taking classes! Maintain and increase your technical skills by regularly taking class. It’s your duty.
4. Get regular massages or treatments. It’s easy to think of this as a luxury but for dancers it is in fact, a necessity. You wouldn’t drive your car without getting it serviced. Your body is no different.
5. Start each day with 10 minutes of meditation to get focused and keep your brain on point for the rest of the day.
6. Do not skip the stretching! So easily done when you’ve been jamming in a club until 3am. Not so fun the next day. Like I said, your body is your instrument. Nurture it.
7. Maintain a regular exercise regime. Whether that’s hitting the gym or doing some pilates/yoga. All dancers have their physical weaknesses and we all know what our personal ones are. Whether it’s increasing flexibility, core strength or nailing that triple pirouette, make a commitment to working on it consistently.
8. Balance your life! The one we struggle with most. It’s easy to push our minds and bodies past their limits which is great if it’s balanced by enough down time and rest. Aim for at least 8 hours of sleep per night and most of all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If it needs to rest, rest!
9. Feed your inspiration. Visit the theatre regularly. Go and see some cabaret, live events and performances. Watch relevant documentaries and movies. Take yourself on an Artist Date! (Thank you to Julia Cameron’s “The Artist’s Way” for that one!) Keep that fire burning!
10. Keep a gratitude journal of achievements big and small and re-read it regularly. Keep acknowledging your progress. It breeds motivation.