And we are BACK with another recipe fresh from my family collection! For those of you wanting to make healthy eating a solid part of your 2018, look no further than this delicious dahl recipe!
- 1/2-1 cup red split lentils
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large chopped tomato
- 2-3 tablespoons natural yoghurt***
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Wash lentils a few times until the water runs clear.
- Place lentils in a pot, cover with cold water. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric and a pinch of salt.
- Cook lentils slowly over heat, stirring every now and again.
- Once soft and changed colour, remove lentils from heat.
- In a large frying pan, cook onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, ginger & pepper.
- Once cooked, add this onion mixture to the lentil pot.
- Cook & stir for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for further 5 mins.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of natural yoghurt.
- Cover & cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
*TIP* Serve with plain/pilau rice or warm parathas!
*** To make a vegan version, simply swap the natural yoghurt for your favourite dairy free alternative! Coconut yoghurt is my personal favourite!