Need a tasty on-the-go snack while out and about at auditions & rehearsals? Look no further!
- 100g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 55g light muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 100g dried stoned dates, chopped
- 75g walnut pieces, chopped
- 250g porridge oats
- 30g sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4). Lightly grease a shallow non-stick baking tin measuring 28 x 18 x 2.5 cm (11 x 7 x 1 in), or a 20 cm (8 in) square tin. If you do not have a non-stick tin, lightly grease an ordinary baking tin, then line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Place the butter, oil, sugar, honey, and orange zest and juice in a heavy-based saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the dates and walnuts. Then stir in the oats, making sure they are evenly coated with the butter mixture.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, pressing it down firmly and evenly. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the top and press down so they are lightly embedded in the surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until deep golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the tin, then mark out 16 pieces on the top surface with a sharp knife.
- Leave to cool completely, still in the tin, before cutting into bars along the marked lines. The flapjacks can be kept in an airtight container for up to 1 week.